11:08 AM

(0) Comments

Nobody does guilt like us Catholics

Mister Nizz

,

Normally, I wouldn't bother with a yardsale when it comes to boardgames of the sort that I like. Usually all I can find are old 3M games or some battered old AH relic that is missing half its complement of pieces. And, normally, I would never take advantage of a volunteer position to scoop up something I've been looking for for eons...

Last night, I was assisting with a church thrift sale-- members of the community bring their old mathom items and I go and help out with my pickup truck (moving couches and such). I always browse through the games section in the down times. Usually I don't find anything of note, though there have been some surprises in the past-- notably, when I found a mint copy of Milton Bradley's FORTRESS AMERICA last year for a dollar... usually, though, it's only something like an old copy of ACQUIRE or a beat up AFRIKA KORPS or something, nothing very special.

Imagine my shock when I found a mint copy of BATTLEMASTERS on one of the tables, going for a dollar!

BattleMasters, for those not in the know, is a funky collaborative project that was a followup to 1991's HEROQUEST, done by Games Workshop and Milton Bradley. There's tons of great bits, even if the game itself wasn't a blast. I tend to buy any of these I come across, because the gaming mat is so danged useful.. HUGE hexes on a sturdy vinyl mat, with hex overlays for fords and marshy bits, and trench systems.

Battlemasters

The plastic pieces are fantastic, I have to paint up my several sets of human and chaos figures one of these days. A giant Ogre, orcs, chaos figures, beastment, good guys, elves, a big cannon, a keep and such. Very cool stuff.

Plastic bits

Quite a deal for a buck, no??

The other big find was an oddity from the seventies called DARK TOWER. This is a strange game done in a fantasy motif.. kind of like a version of Talisman, done on a circular board and with an electronic tower in the center resolving the combat. It's interesting. I may give it a try, as the pieces all appear to be there and the tower works.

Dark Tower box

It has a funky look to it and seems to get good ratings (or at least a lot of people seem to want it, juding on the current Ebay search results). If the kids don't like it, well, I only spent a couple of bucks on it!!

stuff

I always feel a little guilty finding stuff like this. I know I'm paying what they are asking.. and Drey and I always give a little extra, too... it's just that I feel like shaking the people that price these things... Don't you.. have.. ANY... idea...how much... this is worth?????? That sort of thing.

Guess I'll just have to wrestle with my guilt while I play with my new acquisitions for a while...