12:22 PM

(1) Comments

Sobering Comment on Motorcycle Safety

Mister Nizz

bullet rocket

In the Blink of an Eye



I work with some fellow motorcycle enthusiasts. Myself, I ride a Harley Sportser, which doesn't really 'get into the lean' on curves. Most of my work colleagues drive crotch rockets of some sort. In any event, I received some sobering email today under the header "Speed Kills 280Km/hr".

The fellow in the picture sequence was driving a crotch rocket of some sort and slid right out of the lean on a curve going 280 km/hr. You can do the math about his survivability at that speed. He was there, then he was dead.

The most sobering aspect of the picture is that this guy has better gear than I do.. or HAD better gear than I do. Better leathers, a nice full head helmet, padded boots and gloves, leather pants. Didn't do squat for him in the end, though.

The sequence is far too grotesque to post all of here in this blog, this is the only picture I feel comfortable displaying.



However, if you've already eaten lunch, and have a strong stomach:

You can view the entire sequence as a SLIDESHOW on FLICKR

I'm not aiming at the grotesque here, but if you look at my interests, motorcycling is high amongst 'em, and the subject is germain to my goals for blogging.

Follow up: Another Point of Singularity: Follow up to "In the Blink of an Eye"