1:09 PM

(1) Comments

The Street Value of Games.

Mister Nizz

As my recent FORUM POST on boardgamegeek might indicate, I'm getting more and more frustrated with the notion of the "trading post" feature of BGG. Clearly, I'm a bit naive here. My interpretation of the feature was that there were a bunch of people who had want lists and trade lists, and that the trading post matched wants against available games.

Such is not the case, at least in my experience. Games have their own intrinsic value above and beyond the value of a trade (which, if you track sales on EBay, this is something of a stupid statement) to both individuals. Here is the result of several recent attempts to "trade games" on boardgamegeek:


==================================================
The trade offered between hotspur and ScarletJester has expired.

Game(s) From hotspur
-----------------------
1. Age of Napoleon


Game(s) From ScarletJester
-----------------------
1. Dark Future

===============================================
The trade offered between hotspur and SalladDazed has expired.

Game(s) From hotspur
-----------------------
1. Elfenland


Game(s) From SalladDazed
-----------------------
1. Wizards

===============================================
Game(s) From hotspur
-----------------------
1. Elfenland


Game(s) From robbydee
-----------------------
1. Warhammer Quest


I don't think so ... I don't like Warhammer Quest, but I spent a ton of money on it, and I think it's worth more than Elfenland

================================================
Game(s) From hotspur
-----------------------
1. Age of Napoleon



Game(s) From slinkyboy
-----------------------
1. Peloponnesian War

slinkyboy's comment: Thanks, but I'm looking for a bit more for Peloponnesian War.

=================================================

Two parts:
Part 1:

BoardGameGeek Trade Proposal (the only one I've ever received)

The user 'Fenway5' is proposing a game trade with the following details:

Game(s) From Fenway5
-----------------------
1. War of the Ring

Game(s) From hotspur
-----------------------
1. Sniper!

copy unplayed only shrink is off

(I would have jumped on this, had I seen it in time)

Part 2:

(I had not seen this one until after it expired)

When you did not respond, I got a couple other people inquiring about this game and offering stuff, so if you would be willing to trade:

TSR sniper collection
Enemy in sight (AH)
Samurai (AH)

I wll do the trade with you!
Let me know,
Christopher


hotspur Wrote:
-------
Dang! That's what I get for being away from the Geek for a while.

Still interested, or is this snapped up?

Walt


BoardgameGeek Wrote:
-------
BoardGameGeek Trade Expired

The trade offered between Fenway5 and hotspur has expired.

Game(s) From Fenway5
-----------------------
1. War of the Ring

===============================================

Game(s) From hotspur
-----------------------
1. Buck Rogers - Battle for the 25th Century Game


Game(s) From nysmoke
-----------------------
1. Warhammer Quest


nysmoke's comment: Sorry, but WQ is worth about 6X (or more - mine is in like-new condition) than BR.
==============================================

Note that last one. That was one of my first attempts to trade on BGG, and a big tip off that there was an intrinsic value factor that far exceeded the participant's desire to get a game in trade as payment.

When I reacted by replying "I'm sorry, didn't know you were in it for the money" (which might have been stated more diplomatically), the other guy got kind of snippy, implying I was an idiot to make such a trade in the first place.

There's some obvious assumptions I'm missing in my naivete. I thought that if you are putting your game on a trading list, aand some game titles on a want list, then maybe you are interested in the exchange. If you want a more tangible return for your game, why not try Ebay? I've yet to have a single trade offer be accepted, and it's clear to me from my responses that I'm not offering enough in return.

Boardgamegeek needs some form of objective value indicator to make trading worth my while, or I'm not going to bother with it any more.