9:50 AM

(0) Comments

CGW Museum

Mister Nizz

, ,


I honestly havent' bought or played a computer game in quite some time. Frankly, I don't have the time any more, and the reality is that online MMO social networking environments are far more interesting to me currently than a standalone game that quickly becomes stale. This was not always the case. Back in the 90s, standalone PC games were the bomb-- I still have several of them (those that can still run that is).

For PC gaming geeks, The Periodical to read was Ziff Davis' COMPUTER GAMING WORLD during the editorial tenure of Alan Emrich. Emrich gave the magazine a distinctively friendly and engaging tone-- one felt part of the greater community of gaming geekery when reading CGW. I was quite sad to see it go when Ziff Davis announced CGW's demise in 2006.

Still, not all is lost. Many, not all, but many issues have been saved online (by a regular columnist named Scorpia), and are currently online for viewing at the CGW Museum website. The coverage is set during what I call the glory years of CGW, from the 80s to the 90s. The information is fairly dated, but it is a nostalgic window into a more pioneering era.