10:33 AM

(0) Comments

Russo Polish War update

bullet rocket

My Revolutionary Army grows by leaps and bounds



Forward the Revolution, comrade! To the Vistula!

Status update for the untitled Russo Polish war game:

I'm done with the Red Cavalry (roughly 3 doz. stands of two horses each). I've finished one sprue of Russian heavy support weapons which comprise two mortars, one machine gun and two extraneous command stands. Rapidly approaching completion is what I'm calling "revolutionary rank and file" infantry (basically the HaT Russian WWI Infantry pack), which should yield about 13 to 14 infantry stands of 3 figures. I've added some specialty figures which are being painted now. I bought a company pack of IT figures "Revolutionary Naval Infantry" from the War Times Journal. A standard pack is 31 figures which should yield roughly 10 more stands. I also am having some budonovka infantry with greatcoats get painted up as (mostly regular infantry but also a small (four stand) Chekist unit. So that's 6 stands of regular infantry and 4 stands of Checkists.

Here's an in progress photo of the Naval Infantry. This is my first (real) use of a painting service, and I'm finding the money spent is a sound investment.

NAVAL INFANTRY: HOARDE PAINTING IN PROGRESS SHOT, FRONT VIEW

NAVAL INFANTRY: HOARDE PAINTING IN PROGRESS SHOT, REAR VIEW

I'm pleased with the result-- though asked him to put little red dots on the caps to represent the revolutionary cap badges, and to make the bandoliers look more like leather.

What's left: I'm undecided about what level of support weapons is adequate for this conflict. I know the Russkis had some tanks-- captured Mk. 5s and Whippets, mostly, and some Armored cars. But it is highly unlikely that more than one of these would be depicted on the battlefield if one hopes to retain scale. They were just too rare.

I need to pick up some Artillery pieces for this army, in a big way. I'm thinking the French Schneider kit from .. ERM? Possibly with British cannon cockers from Airix, with a paint-job conversion.

In any event, I'm impressed with how fast this project is coming along.