8:55 AM

(0) Comments

Follow up to the Norm Koger post

Mister Nizz


I posted a while back about Norm Koger's new Russo-Japanese game. The publisher will be Storm Eagle Studios and the series will be called "Distant Guns". I actually heard back from Norm about the publisher details!Here's the scoop:

(BTW, the Yalu references are me asking Norm if he was interested in using the engine for other time periods, such as Yalu (one of my favorites) or the Spanish American War.

The game is in the hands of the game industry press right now for
preview coverage. Articles should start appearing any day now. Very scary.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Release is close, depending upon what we
read when the previews begin to appear. Distant Guns will be the first
release of a new company, see http://www.stormeaglestudios.com/

>...Battle of the Yalu project...

Most of my references for the period are Russian language
publications. They are wonderful for technical and architectural detail, but
don't really go into colors. I had to piece the color info for the RJW from
a number of sources. As for the Battle of Yalu, I'm not sure. The Chinese
were probably black/dark gray hulls with medium gray uppers. I don't believe
the Japanese had standardized yet, and probably appeared in a variety of
schemes. As late as the eve of the RJW, Japanese ship colors were not
standardized. Only in the immediate run up to the war were all of the
Japanese ships painted in a medium gray overall.

>...RJW engine for the Battle of Yalu...

The _engine_ could certainly handle the Battle of Yalu. We don't
have 3d models for all of the Chinese ships, and even those we have are
actually as modified by the Japanese when they were taken into the IJN. It's
an interesting idea. But I doubt I could sneak the necessary models into the
budget at this point. Maybe I can swing that if I manage to talk my partner
into letting me do the Spanish American war. A couple more models in the mix
at that point might be workable.

Regards,


Norm Koger
Software Developer
http://home.austin.rr.com/normkoger/


Well, they have my business, for what that's worth!