4:23 PM

(0) Comments

Ebay and boardgames.. has the bubble burst?

Mister Nizz

Way back in the day I used to put a few boardgames up for sale on ebay, and the buying frenzy would commence... Nothing tremendously rare, just good games that had a steady demand, like AFRIKA KORPS and BULGE and such. Such things never went for the big, big money (like, say, putting EMPIRE OF THE SUN on ebay, or one the SPI monster games-- they usually netted about 100 bucks each). They did, however, ALWAYS generate a bid or two. Enough to make it worth my while. Nowadays, the days of the 100 dollar game sale appear to be over as we all seem to settle down and get used to Ebay price fluctuations.

I recently sold off a bunch of games (See more Closet Clearing, in August). I have NO complaints about the outcomes, but it was one of the first times I noticed several games getting ZERO bids.. and they weren't unknowns, either. Fortunately, I did re-post them and they did sell later (no bids on EAST FRONT TANK LEADER? Or you guys nuts???). I'm sure it was a timing thing, but it definitely seems like the bloom is off the rose for wargamers and Ebay. Games seem to be finishing at a lower price, and not selling at all (no bids) quite often.

Is there a solution? Dunno. There's not really a problem, if youre a buyer that is. If you are a seller, you might give BoardgameGeek's marketplace a try. I plan on it, eventually.

Till then, I'm getting ready for the next big round of closet cleaning, sigh...